Friday, January 10, 2014

Writing goals for 2014

I hate making resolutions. Because any resolution I make on January 1st gets broken by the start of the second week. This year I have decided to do a few things. Let’s call them my writing goals.

This year I want to write more than one book. I have already started the book that was inspired by Penny on Gary’s (Klahanie's blog.) So far the plot and the characters have been jumping around inside my head. I am done with the first chapter. The entire story is quite clear in my mind. The characters' personalities are taking shape in my mind. Its ages since I have been so excited about any story.

I also want to try other options if the traditional route is not happening for a particular book. Its time I moved away from that book. It’s caused me enough emotional distress.

I want to read as many books as I can, across genres and age groups. I have started reading from the Christmas holidays and getting engrossed in another writer’s words is exciting and soothing. Reading always relaxes me and motivates me.

I also want to write a little every day, so that by the end of the month I have made some progress with my story. Sometimes, when life interrupts I am unable to write, but I plan to change that and write come what may.

What are your writing goals or goals related to your writing career? Please share you goals with us as I am sure it will inspire all of us.

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're moving forward in positive fashion. I also am trying to not be thrown by interruptions. They're going to come no matter what (I've learned) so I need to adapt to that.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great goals. My goal is to write more books. As in two per year. I know some people can write and edit (well) four plus a year. That would be my dream.

    I need to spend more time on FB, especially my FB page. I've discovered of all my social media sites, that's where most are going to find me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look like realistic goals, Rachna. Don't be surprised if you keep them!

    My writing goal is to finish a draft of a new book I began by May. I'm five chapters into it and have a rough outline for the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much better to set goals than resolutions.
    Penny inspired a story? She will be pawsitively excited about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too want to read as many books as possible. I have created a separate category in my blog for fiction book reviews - I hope this will cross 25 posts this year. Keeping my fingers crossed.

    Let us know when your book is published. We will also read it and review it :)

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is sooo nice that you are inspired by Gary and Penny. I am sure they will be thrilled. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think goals sound much more achievable (and forgiving) than resolutions.

    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goals are so much better than resolutions because they tend to be more positive and in manageable steps. Wishing you every success in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rachna,

    Writing goals are just the tonic. Resolutions are not even in the equation.

    I'm wondering who this Penny is. I know of Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar! As for Gary and some blog named, "klahanie", I shall go check that out.

    I'm sure this Penny will be pawsitively delighted that she has inspired you in doing a book.

    Indeed, write in workable amounts to get to the final goal.

    I'm doing a story in where I'm evidently a character created by a dog.

    Happy writing, my friend.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have similar goals for 2014. Best of luck with your goals :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for inspiring us Rachna. I try to set writing goals, but life seems to always get in the way. I am trying to prioritize my activities better this year and maybe that will help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have some goals too, but I'm pretty loose about them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi friends, hopefully I will be able to achieve my writing goals this year and not let distractions get the better of me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I created some doable goals for myself. Good luck with your writing this year. It's awesome that Penny inspired you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to take time to set some goals. Maybe write something other than book reviews! (Which I love.)

    Thanks for being an inspiration!!!

    Bless you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have great goals! I want to finish my next book and hopefully find it a home by the year's end. Dreaming maybe but maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of mine is to post regularly on my blog. My friend Payal Dhar and I are doing a "52 weeks of reading and writing" special. Why don't you join in?!

    ReplyDelete