Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Have you got your Writerly Stuff Ready?

Few days back, when the people in charge of the Short story competition in which my short story for children won a special prize asked me to send my picture with a short  Bio for their website, I went into a mad scramble trying to find a suitable picture. Finally I had to beg my nephew to take a picture ( it wasnt a good one) but then I had no other alternative. The author bio too needed a little bit of effort from my side.

 Three days back, when the editor of Penguin asked me to send my author bio for the Anthology in which one of my short story appears, I very happily sent them as I had already written one. 

It was then I realized that its necessary for writers to keep few things handy and do few other things before the book is out.

 Author Bio- where all our writing credentials are mentioned as well as our qualifications in a word document saved under the title of Author Bio. This can be updated often whenever we add on to our writerly activities, namely mention of competitions won, articles published, books published and short stories that have appeared in Anthologies. One agent I wanted to query asked for a detailed list of articles and stories published with links to each article. Needless to say, I did not query that agent as I don’t have these details in hand.

Author Picture. A picture that agents and editors  want to put up on their websites under the list: Clients. This is something I am looking forward to even though I am very unphotogenic. It would be wonderful.  Currently I don’t have a picture ready, but this situation will be tackled soon. We never know when God decides to smile upon our writing efforts.

Visiting/Business Card.  I have often heard that its important  for writers to have a visiting card with their  credentials, contact details as well as their websites. To be honest, I have never bothered with a visiting card. I am still debating on this issue.

 Website. This is another area I have not given much thought to. It’s my personal thought that I would go for a website when I have more books published. But, I have heard that it’s never too early to get a website as that makes writers look professional in front of agents.

Blogs. Blogs have become necessary tools for building platforms. Most of us already blog. The only thing I will add here is frequent posts; even once a week is good enough. Blogs that have not seen any updates from months send out a wrong impression.

Twitter. I have no clue about Twitter, but I have heard that it’s a great  way to keep up to date on the latest publishing news. And its also a wonderful way to build a platform.

Facebook Page. This can be either a Author Page or a Book Page. Its a great way to get the interest going.

Now it’s your turn. Tell me whether you have all your writerly stuff ready. I am guilty of many  writing transgressions. What about you all? Have I forgotten anything?

18 comments:

  1. Rachna, as usual, words of profound wisdom for me! I have to learn all the ropes being a newbie :(
    Your posts come as a guiding path ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have the blog unfortunately, but I have been thinking about the others. I want a proper bio, but I don't know what to write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I've been in a few situations where I could have used a professional picture and had to scramble for one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is interesting that you call a business card a visiting card over there:)) I always keep a bio and picture ready but I need a new picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. None of these are ready ..:-(I am totally clueless about the twitter bit..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a lot of things on your list, but I don't have a website yet. I'm thinking about me though. Maybe after I finish my rewrite of Granny and start sending it out. All these thing take creative energy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good, sound advice - for which much sincere thanks. And congrats on your successes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent tips Rachna.

    Also, congrats on your writing success.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always full of imformation Mam, wel now i stand nowhere and got nothing of your above mention details just one that i have start blogging now. Bt i would like to congrts you on your success Mam, congrts la...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrads on your writing feats. I need an author page over at FB. Working o it. Going to have an author photo done soon. Great wisdom here. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can check most off the list. I even have multiple versions of my bio. Woot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not photogenic, either. My husband took a nice picture of me over a decade ago and that's what I use as my avatar. Otherwise, I'm doing ok. My business cards are not the most professional, perhaps, but I do have them. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a Media Kit on one of the tabs on my blog. I need to revisit it this weekend and see if I can spruce it up or even take some stuff out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember scrambling for an author bio when a short story I subbed got published. LOL! At least they didn't ask for a picture, as most of the pics I use are candid head shots and not professional ones.

    Good post! It does pay to be ready. I don't have a website or a FB author page. Maybe someday I'll get it put together. But first, I must write my stories and write them well. What good is a website when I don't have a product to sell, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that's such great news, congrats! Things like a bio, pic, business card, blog, etc. are also pretty essential nowadays. Glad things are going so well for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wise words, as always. Thank you, Rachna :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have followed through on several of these needs, including a business card. But it's Facebook and Twitter that I'm still dragging my feet on. Afraid, I guess, of falling into that blackhole of lost time even more. But maybe I can be convinced!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good tips. I have my picture ready to go, but it isn't my favorite. Oh to be an author backed by a big publishing company that pay for professional pictures.

    ReplyDelete